Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Hal Spacejock 7: Big Bang progress report

I'm writing and releasing Hal Spacejock 7 in ten installments of roughly 7000 words (4 chapters) each.

Parts 1-5 (the first half of the book) are already available on Amazon and Kobo.

When part ten is published I'll release the entire thing as a single novel, as per Hal Spacejock books 1-6.

There are several reasons why I'm writing and releasing Hal 7 in parts, but these are the major ones:

1. Something new for the fans every week or so, not every year or so.
2. It's really keeping me on my toes, and I'm enjoying the challenge.
3. I find it much easier to focus on writing, editing and releasing each part - far easier than trying to prepare an entire novel.
4. No plotting! I'm just working 3-4 chapters ahead, instead of knowing every little detail in advance. That gives my characters freedom to make different choices when the moment arises, and then I type like crazy to keep up with them.

Anyway, half a novel in 3-4 weeks proves it's working, and the feedback so far has been great. As for productivity, I'd be more than happy to release 3 Hal novels, 1 Harriet Walsh novel and a Hal Junior novel every year ...

Simon Haynes is the author of the Hal Spacejock and Hal Junior series (Amazon / Smashwords / other formats)

No comments: