Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Plot synopsis project

A couple of weeks back Joshua Palmatier suggested this project, in which published authors post a copy of the synopsis they used to actually sell their novel to a publisher. (Or in some cases, the document used to describe the book to the author's editor. There's a subtle difference.)

His post is here, so you can see the reasoning behind the project.

I'm posting the synopsis of Hal 3 - the document I used to show my editor what I was intending to write. We went back and forth a number of times, and while the finished book diverges a fair bit from this original outline, I must point out that reading this outline could spoil the book for you

So, if you're an avid Hal fan hanging out for Hal 3, don't read on. On the other hand, if you have no interest in Hal and just follow my blog for the writing and publishing tips, go for it! (Hal fans - dozens of writers have posted their synopses today under a similar title, so you'll be able to find others to read.)

Without further ado, here's the summary as presented to my editor:

Hal Spacejock Just Desserts original outline

Simon Haynes is the author of the Hal Spacejock and Hal Junior series (Amazon / Smashwords / other formats)

No comments: