Monday, February 18, 2008

Diary of a book release

I've covered plotting, writing and editing novels in detail, but I don't think I've blogged much about the process leading up to the launch. That is, from the minute you hand your baby over to the publisher until the day it, er, graduates.

So, I thought I'd start blogging about the process. It might only be two blog posts or it might be a whole series of them - that depends on how much I'm involved this time around. (And let me tell you, with the first book you're so involved the publishers start thinking they've employed you around the office.)

Anyway, the launch date for Hal 4 is June the second, and it's now mid-February. That gives me three months to cover, and we'll see how it goes.

Fremantle Press has a new publicist, Claire, after Scott was whisked away to New York for involvement in the film industry. So, best wishes to Scott ... and good luck to Claire ;-) I got an email from her the other day, and we're going to meet up to discuss publicity ideas soon.

And speaking of promo, I was pleased to get an email from a public library in Victoria. They like the Hal books and were writing to ask for posters and/or bookmarks to promote them. I already like their library and I've never been there. So, I fired an email off to Claire about posters and I packed up some bookmarks to send off.

Claire also got in touch asking whether I could present at a local writers festival (school age), which sounds interesting. I've said yes, so we'll see where that leads.

Simon Haynes is the author of the Hal Spacejock and Hal Junior series (Amazon / Smashwords / other formats)

No comments: